Monday, January 31, 2011

Fibery update

Uh, Shiny.  (I don't know how to spell "ough", "ow",  the vowel sound in threw or knew.  I want to say "knew-kn", shiny or "threw-thr", shiny.  The "uh" will have to do for now.  Actually, "ew" looks kind of right.)

Just an update on the fiber I have been turning into yarn. I can spin faster than I can knit, at this rate, expecially when we stay in one location and don't move for two weeks.

First, I spun up the awesome batt that I received from my wonderful friends for my birthday. I think the color was Before Sunset, from Crown Mountain Farms. The batt turned into a lushious pinky, purple three ply, about 372 yards. I am so in love with this yarn. I think I am going to make a Traveling Woman shawl.

Then I spun up a couple of minibatts, about one ounce, that I won from SpinControl Podcast. The batts are alpaca, Falkland wool, and seacell. Proportions weren't given. I got 173 yards of two ply, just what I wanted. It is maybe a heavy laceweight, about 17-18 wpi. I'm going to make a lace cowl.

Then I spun up a sample of corriedale in a natural brown and gray that I purchased at Snohomish. It is also two ply and I only have 23 yards, as I only did a bit to try it out. I'm going to make something small, to test out the yarn. I usually prefer three ply, but this is nice and softer than I though it would be from the fiber.

I finished a pair of felted slippers, which fit Nick and not the intended recipient. I made a cotton shopping bag, since we really have way to many plastic bags now. I am working on a "waves" or "seafoam" scarf, the one where you wrap the yarn around the needle one, two, three, two, one times, then drop it on the next row. I'm using the gradient yarn I spun up from some similar roving that was distinct colors. I wanted to see how the color blended. I also was trying for, and got, a worsted weight yarn.

Next I plan to finish a purple cardigan I started last year from my handspun, and finish a little scottie terrier from an Alan Dart pattern, much modified as I don't see any reason to knit fourteen pieces and then sew them together for a toy.

So net to stash: added 568 yards, knit up Maybe?? 300-400 yards. It's still gaining on me. However, the scottie and the purple cardigan will tip the balance the opposite way, specially since I am using two strands of yarn for the dog. And Stitches West is coming up, so I may knit some bears for the Mother Bear project. Do I have any acrylic in my stash?? I didn't think so. Well, a trip to the yarn shop is not so bad, really.

No comments: